We decided to do the 12 days of Christmas to a family who brings their son to our in home daycare. They have to catch rides to work everyday since neither of their cars are in running condition. We hope to bring lots of Christmas joy their way!
On the first day of Christmas we delivered a bowl of fruit and fruit candy for the kids...Ashley and Amber offered to help with the deliveries. Their home is down a fairly long driveway and although we waited until dark to deliver the goods, it only took Jared (the unsuspecting dad) less than 30 seconds to open the door. Ashley had gotten away, but we knew that it would be difficult from this point on.
On the second day of Christmas we delivered a box of turtles and dove chocolates. This night was even more scary for the delivering elves because we knew that they were going to be waiting for us.
On the third day of Christmas we delivered a bag of french bread, and stuff to make a spaghetti dinner...by now...Ashley and Amber had lost most of their courage and we ended up calling them from a blocked phone number. Ashley's message said "Ho Ho Ho...your gift has been delivered." (in a very unsuspecting and strange voice).
On the fourth day of Christmas Amber and I drove over there with renewed courage. The porch light was off and I was delivering a turkey. I knew I wouldn't be able to get on the porch and run away in time so I placed the turkey on their ledge and threw a slushy snowball at their front room window. Not even 3 seconds later the front door opened and as I crouched behind the pine tree in the front yard the kids started looking for me. I was trying to think of what I would say when they found me...but after 10 minutes, they stopped their search and I was able to run back to Ambers car and get away without being discovered.
On the fifth day of Christmas we deliverd a large bag of gold wrapped chocolates and some princess rings for the daughter to dress up with. Since the night before was so scary we opted to just leave the gift and not knock. Surely they would find the gift left for them at some point during the evening...or next day...we could not risk being caught again. Weston rode with us this night...but didn't know it was for his daycare friend.
On the sixth day of Christmas we delivered eggs, milk, bread and syrup for the family to make a delicious breakfast. We nervously left the package after crossing the frozen hard and very noisy snow covered front yard to place the bag of goodies on the ledge. We couldn't risk another night of getting caught and our courage had yet to come back.
On the seventh day of Christmas...last night...I went by myself to delivery some bath yummies for Debbie (the unsuspecting mom). With bath bubbles, body wash and loofas in a cute white basket I went alone walking through the thick fog in their neighborhood and once again marched through the hard noisy snow covered lawn and placed the gift on the porch. When I left I honked my horn three times to alert them. I'm sure they missed nothing.
On the eighth day of Christmas....last night again, Jared drove me to the house where he dropped me off, drove down the neighbors shared driveway...turned around and picked me up before anybody noticed. We delivered some chocolate milk and cookies...it was awesome! Even the kid in my daycare mentioned today how he 'has chocolate milk at his house'. He doesn't say much else about it, but that's ok...it's fun anyway.
On the ninth day of Christmas, which would've been last Monday to their house. Weston was playing at a friends house so Jared, Lacie and I went out for dinner and then drove by their house to drop off the movie 'Dirty Dancing', applicable to the nine ladies dancing theme of the day. The snow continues to be crunchy, but I get the feeling that since they tried to find out who we were, and we've stopped alerting them of their gift, that they got the hint and laid off a bit. The porch light has been off since.
On the tenth day of Christmas, last Tuesday...we went out to dinner afterwhich we delivered a Jumping Monkey game hence ten lords a leaping. Jayce didnt' say anything about it in daycare at the Christmas party Wednesday, so I don't know if their family is waiting until Christmas to open it. Doesn't matter much either way.
Last night Amber and I delivered the eleventh day of Christmas gift. Amber ran it up to the house. Jared spent some time in the shop and made marshmallow shooters for the kids/ and parents. They are pvc pipe put together to make a gun that you can blow marshmallows through. Anxiety was high since we have pressed our luck getting caught, but like I said before, I think they know we don't want to be discovered and backed off after the search incident.
Tonight we will deliver our final 12 days of Christmas gift, which is a drummer nut cracker. It will make a nice Christmas decoration. I was debating writing my testimony in a BOM to give to them as well, but something is holding me back. Each day I have included a story or message, some of them being spiritual in nature and some of them fun. I don't want them to feel like they have been a 'missionary project' and am just genuinely doing secret santa for them because of their situation and financial hardship. I will let you know how tonight goes. Merry Christmas!!!
2 comments:
Carrie-you are hilarious. I love the snow mask. Seriously though, who goes in search of their "secret" santa for 10 minutes? That is too fun. We thought we figured out who our secret santa was until last night. We opened our gift and it was a bottle of wine!!! I don't think it was the LDS neighbors that we suspected!
This is so cool! I can imagine the fear and sneaky-ness you would need. I think this is too much fun for you! What a great service. Merry Christmas!!! Love Uncle Tom and Aunt Lynette
Post a Comment